Monday 8 April 2013

Random collection

So this post is basically just a brief over view of the small things that I keep meaning to talk about but don't really have enough to say to write a full blog about each one.


 School

This year's staff photo

 So I've been at my school now for 5/6 weeks now. I'm really starting to feel like this is my life now.

Between every class, there is a 10 minute break where, but because it is such a short time, the students don't go outside. this turns the classrooms into a play ground between classes, but I really don't mind. I quite enjoy it actually. It gives me a chance to talk to the students and get to know them better.

The school also does staff trips once a month on Wednesdays instead of our regular volleyball games. For our trip in March, we all went hiking in the hills just by our school and had a picnic. With hiking i felt much more in my element than in volleyball, and again, with hiking it is a chance for me to talk with the other teachers and practice my Korean on them.







 Last up on school is dinning. Lunch is split into two sittings for the older kids and the younger kids. I usually eat with the older kids, but still, on the staff table. Now, one thing that I've had to get used to is not knowing what I'm eating. because in school, I almost never know what I'm eating. I just eat it, it tastes good and then I'm done. The same is often true when eating out. I'll ask a native Korean what a particular thing is, they'll look at it, poke it, maybe smell it, or taste is and then say that either they don't know what it is either, or they don't know what the English word for it is. but I'm ok with it.













Home

So I haven't really talked much about where I live.

It's a tiny area. in terms of area it takes up it's the size of a hamlet, but because of the population in the high size flats, maybe you'd call it a village. there's something like 1,800-2,000 people living here. Anyway, there's a few shops, social places, a norebang obviously, a couple of restaurants and a chapel. Behind the apartments is the sea, to the left is forest and to the right is rice paddies. Something about this area reminds me of 1950s America. All the families know each other and really contribute to the community. A large number of the families only have the men working and the women doing something or other, and the children are free to go off and play in the forest or whatever until it's time for dinner and then the streets are dead by 6:30pm because all the families are either eating together, or the kids have gone to their hagwon (after school school/night school.)  There are no teenagers hanging around on street corners because all their spare time is taken up by studying.



Tide is out (I'm not sure that I'll ever get to see it in.) 

The chapel




No comments:

Post a Comment